In this decade, technology has boosted and innovation in social media, artificial intelligence, and computing has radically changed our lives. Laptops and PCs have now only grown stronger, slimmer, and portable but have also become cheaper. A laptop, nowadays, are equipped by almost everyone may it be a student, worker, or businessman.
If we look 10 to 15 years, we see no trend of laptop usage as a laptop in those days were bulky and expensive hence it wasn’t as easy as it is now to buy a laptop and carry it with you to any place. Although laptops have become common there lifespan is as long as the lifespan of PCs and in fact, laptops are not to be blamed for this, no doubt the quality and the manufacturing company of the laptop matters but the actual determining factor for the life span of the laptop is how you take care of your laptop.
This article discusses in detail that how should typically a laptop and its individual components last and tips that can prolong the lifespan of your laptop, so without further delay lets jump on to the main point.
Overall lifespan of laptop
The overall lifespan of laptop depends on the hardware components that are used inside the laptop. Better and modern the processor, ram, and graphics card of the laptop longer will remain pertinent to modern technology. If you buy a cheap laptop it will have outdated technology, which might not be able to support the latest games, software, and applications, etc.
Here is a rough idea of how long a laptop will last based on the price of the laptop and hardware component it features.
Less than $700: 2-3 years
$700 to $1000: 3-5 years
$100+: 5-7 years
Remember this is just a rough idea as price and hardware components are not the only determining factor for the lifespan of the laptop. If you want to perform some heavy task on your machine then your laptop might not stay relevant to the latest technology for long. Moreover, let’s say you run machine learning algorithms on your laptop which require high processing power than your hardware components might wear out soon due to usage of its components to its limits. But you can always increase the lifespan of your laptop if you use it with enough care. This article will shortly inform you about the tips that can increase the lifespan of your laptop just stay with us.
Life Span of Individual Components
As explained earlier computers are made of several components and each component has different lifespan
The lifespan of the battery is solely dependent on how you use your battery, greater the use of batter shorter will be its life. If you use your laptop for the whole day without giving it a break or you don’t shut down your laptop rather just put it to sleep for weeks then, unfortunately, your battery might not last as long as it is supposed to last.
A typical battery has 400 – 500 recharge cycles before it starts losing its credibility if you use a complete battery in one day and just recharge your laptop once a day than your battery will last almost 1 to 1.5 years. But if you use your laptop extensively and need to recharge you’re your laptop twice a day your battery might wear out it less than a year but if your are careful with your laptop and use your laptop 2 days with single charge than you can increase the battery life up to 2 years or more.
The battery is not really an expensive component as compared to the other ones so it can be replaced every year so it has very little weightage toward determining the overall lifespan of the laptop.
SSD is not only an important part of your computer just because of its price but for the fact that it contains the important data that you can’t lose at any price. Having bad quality SSD can really cost you a great amount.
SSD or HDD is made of cells that are responsible for storing the information. More the flash cycles (removing and writing data) you perform on your SSD or HDD, swiftly it will wear out and lose its integrity. SSD/HDD doesn’t usually stop working immediately rather they start to malfunction first and it’s the warning for you to back up your important data and replace your SSD/HDD. Typically SSD can handle 100,000 flash cycles which means you can remove and write data to each cell of SSD up to 100,000 times. If your application of usage is such that you perform 100 flash cycles per day which is enough then your SSD will last more than 3 years. 100,000 flash cycles are not fixed and may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and from price to price.
In short, your SSD can easily last 3 to 5 years. But again it also depends on how you use your computer and how much you take care of it, using computers recklessly can decrease the life of every component of the computer.
Ram is also a memory component just like SSD but the only difference is that it is volatile memory and is available near to the processor. Theoretically, speaking a ram should last forever at least more than you will live. But there are many factors which cause ram failure within a few years and some of them might be unavoidable depending on your usage.
Power surges can damage every electronic component of your computer and ram is one of them. If there is a problem with your power supply that can also lead to ram destruction. Moreover, excessive heat can also damage electronic components. Each electronic component is designed to be operated on a specific temperature if the temperature exceeds that limit then it will surely damage your computer.
Especially when you have gaming PC and you overclock your processor, your whole computer heats up and there should be a proper heat drainage mechanism if heat is not dissipated properly than it will damage your ram, processor, and other components. Keeping all the factors in the mind it is seen that a typical ram lasts for 5 years but again it depends on how you use it you can lead it to failure within 5 years or you can make it work for more than 5 years.
Graphic Card Life
For a gaming computer, a graphic card is a most important component as it is responsible for rendering the graphics which is the most extensive task that is to be performed by the laptops, due to this high processing power some graphic cards are even expensive than the whole computer.
A graphic card should fail normally if used according to the terms and conditions it is designed for but if you abuse your graphic card then it is surely going to fail soon. Graphic cards are designed to carry substantial processing, so high processing should not be a problem that causes its performance to degrade. However, heat is a common enemy for each electronic component as discussed above each electronic component is designed to stand specific amounts of heat, and beyond that its performance starts to degrade and soon it becomes unusable.
Graphics cards should easily last for 4 – 5 years if not abused, but using the graphic card recklessly can cause it to overheat which will lead to card failure within 2 years.
Thoughts about gaming laptop
All discussion above was mostly about business or normal laptops but we know that gaming laptops are different than a business and normal laptops as they are to experience heavy loads. Handling heavy loads mean overheating and overheating cause electronic components to degrade. Moreover, gaming laptops are expensive than normal business laptops so it is perfectly normal for you to take your time to think about whether it is worth buying gaming laptops depending on its lifespan.
To dissipate the extra heat caused by excessive processing, the computer needs to have a proper cooling system, and considering the compact size of laptops, it is usually difficult to have a proper cooling system other than the fan which is installed even in the normal laptops. Keeping in view all the aspects it is seen than gaming laptops lasts for almost 3 years and if you take extra care it can last up to 4 years before it starts losing the performance or even fails completely.
On the other hand, a PC can have a proper liquid and air cooling system which can dissipate the heat easily and can increase the life of your electronics components so it is better to have a gaming PC rather than a gaming laptop.
How to prolong life of a laptop?
It is obvious that taking precautionary measures and using the laptop the way they are meant to be used is going to increase its life but what are those precautionary measures and how are laptops meant to be used? We will answer all these questions in this section.
For normal laptops
- Use dim backlight settings: Screen is the most power-consuming part of your laptop, greater the brightness more battery it will consume, more you will need to recharge the laptop and earlier will battery lose its integrity.
- Service your laptop: If you don’t clean your laptop or a long time, dust particle will occupy their space on the electronic components hence increasing the resistance and hence reducing the performance of your PC. You should service your laptop every 6 months.
- Change power settings: You are not supposed to carry high processing tasks in normal laptops so you can put your laptop on to low processing or power saving mode which will not only increase the battery life but life of other components like ram and SSD as well. But it doesn’t mean you can’t carry high processing tasks on your laptop you can always do it but make sure you don’t make it a routine if you field of work is such that you require to execute high processing task than you should buy high processing power PC with better heat dissipation mechanism.
- Change thermal paste: Thermal paste which is attached to the processor is supposed to keep the processor cool. But with time it eventually wears out so it necessary to change thermal paste, you can also do it every 6 months while you open your laptop to service it.
- Perform disk check and disk clean up: You can perform a disk check for any abnormalities so that you are ware ahead of time some problem is about to occur so that you can handle it. Moreover, with time your disk becomes externally fragmented which causes it to lose its performance, you can perform a disk cleanup to remove external fragmentation and can boost the performance of your computer.
For gaming laptops
- Keep laptop on a flat surface: When you use your gaming laptop make sure that you place it on a flat surface for proper heat dissipation. A fan might not work properly if you don’t place your laptop on flat surface and heat will cause electronics components to damage. This point is also valid for normal laptops but more important for gaming laptops.
- Don’t play power and play: High processing and graphic rendering sucks power out of the battery and that’s why gamers plug their laptop to the socket while playing games but it is not a good idea this not only causes overheating but also destroys your battery. You should always properly charge your laptop first and let it discharge before you plug it again.
- Don’t overclock your laptop: Over clocking might increase your performance but will surely decrease the life of each component due to excessive heat and operating processor beyond the limits.
Conclusion About Approximate Life of a Gaming Laptop
The life span of a laptop is not fixed but rather determined by the many factors like what quality components are installed on the laptop and how you use it. Moreover, gaming laptops have usually less life than business and normal laptops because they need to perform high processing tasks. The detailed lifespan of major components of a computer and how you can increase its life span is discussed in detail.