How Much Does It Cost to Repair a Laptop Screen or How to Repair a Broken Laptop Screen
Laptop screens are long-lasting if handled with care, but any small incident can cause either a press or in worse case a crack in the laptop screen. Even the within laptop screen can cause the LCD to go white from that particular area and eventually all neighboring pixels suffer the same fate. It might not seem this way but it is quite often that laptops screen break. It is the most troublesome thing as everything is working smoothly but with no display.
The answer to this question would be that it depends, there are hundreds of different laptops produced by different companies with different specifications. This plays a significant role in the pricing of the components especially the LCD since most good gaming laptops have a high spec panel. Also, considering the region you live in there are different quality panels available, and depending on that the price will vary.
Note: The replacement of your entire screen is only necessary if your screen is completely dead or badly broken. When it comes to that you may require to get a replacement, here is a link where you can easily search an LCD Screen for your model. Now, let’s dive into details of how much it costs to fix a laptop screen.
Check for Other Faulty Components
If there is no apparent damage on the LCD it’s best to check other components for failure because most of the time when there is no damage to the LCD it is some other component like the GPU not doing its job. So, make sure all your components are working properly. The best way to do this is to connect your laptop to an external display, there can be 2 condition
- If your computer turns on and provides display then this means that all your components are working properly but your Display is faulty. In this condition, you can either get your display changed or show it to a technician and he might be able to guide you better. Don’t lose hope there can be issues with the wire, connectivity. So, it’s best to get it checked before replacing it.
- Your computer doesn’t turn on. There can be multiple problems with this scenario, even minute problems like dust in RAM connections can cause this issue. It’s recommended to get your laptop checked.
Considering, you are sure that your LCD is either broken or not working, then get the repaired and the cost of that will be determined by the laptop you have as mentioned before. Let’s read, what are the ways that you can opt to repair your laptop’s screen.
How to Repair your Laptop Cracked and Broken Screen
The simple but expensive way is to take your laptop to a technician and he can look at it considering the damage he can either suggest you replace the screen or repair the cables/circuitry if that is at fault.
The next thing that we recommend is to fix your screen yourself.
Fixing the Cracked Screen
- Choosing the right workplace. This is the most important thing because a lot of people we know who start opening up their laptops and don’t have an organized desk where they can put the parts eventually get confused and take everything to the technician.
- It’s recommended if you record yourself opening up the laptop this way you can watch yourself back and know which part that you have missed and which part goes where.
- Have a toolbox ready with different screwdrivers, tools for disconnecting the tables, it’s not recommended to use your hand on small circuitry. So, buy a set of tools beforehand. You can check this toolkit out. It will serve just right for this purpose.
- Use a small box to hold all the small screws or circuitry or align them on the table.
- A Nitto-Tape is essential for fixing cracked laptop screens. Make sure while opening and applying the repair don’t put force on the glass as the cracked glass can puncture the screen layers and render the screen useless.
- However, applying the Nitto-tape to a deeply cracked glass would be useless so make sure that your cracks are not deep enough and all your LCD is okay.
- If that is not the case consider having a replacement screen simply exchange the broken screen with the replacement.
- Now, carefully put everything back and watch your video for reference in case you forget anything.
It is always recommended to do your job, in this case, fix your screen yourself but if you feel that this part is too delicate then its best to leave it to an expert. But considering your screen is completely obliterated and a replacement screen is the only option. Then do try these steps yourself, because even if you fail to take it apart you won’t be causing damage to the screen.
How to check Cost of Repairing a Broken Laptop Screen
As we have mentioned before, this is dependent on your laptop. So, it is always recommended to do research first online finding prices of your product’s LCD and then refer to a mechanic. Chances are you will find it is a much more reasonable price online than from a local vendor.
You will immediately see a difference that in general if you order online and replace it yourself it will cost around $80 – $200 and a local mechanic will charge $100 – $500. Now, the decision is yours to get it fixed from a technician or by yourself.
In this article, I have, in my knowledge, tried to explain all the necessities and procedures required for your screen replacement and the best possible ways available to check at home and make sure before you visit a local repair shop. We hope that after reading “How to Fix a cracked laptop screen” and understanding the Cost to repair a laptop screen you would most definitely be able to decide your laptop’s LCD.