Use Laptop as a Monitor | A Comprehensive Informative Guide
With evolving technology, nothing seems impossible in world of computers. Have you heard that you can use your laptop screen as an extended monitor? If yes, then you have heard right. You can use your laptop screen as a monitor for your desktop PC.
In this article, we have summarized the three simplest ways of sharing your PC display to your laptop screen with proper guidance and tips to get the best out of your laptop.
Reason for Using Laptop as a Second Screen
Some people at this point might think that what is the purpose of using your laptop screen as an extended display? Isn’t having just one monitor with desktop enough? In fact, there are several reasons, let us discuss them one by one.
Using Multiple Programs Simultaneously
Doesn’t matter from which field you belong to, there comes a time when you feel the need to look at two programs simultaneously. Let us consider an example that you are front end web developer and you are making changes in your code and whenever you press refresh you want to see the effect immediately on the screen. If you have just one screen you would either have to switch between programs or you would have to adjust both on one screen which would be really inconvenient. I know there are many development environments that will let you see the effect of your change in the code but this is just and an example to demonstrate the reason for using the laptop screen.
Enhancing the Productivity
Having two screens at your disposal can really increase the productivity of your work. Switching between screens can waste a lot of your time and can slow down your work. Looking at both screens will not increase the convenience but will save your time and will increase productivity.
The method we are going to share will not only share the screen but will also help in data sharing. For people like digital marketers and photographers who need to move data from one device to another device commonly, it can be really useful
Things Needed for Using Laptop Screen as a Monitor
There is not much you need to share your PC display to the laptop screen. You can achieve this goal using the built-in features of windows or by means of third-party applications. The only hardware you need is
- A desktop PC
- A Laptop
- Latest windows 10 on both the devices
Amazingly you don’t need any external hardware like cables and any other device.
3 Ways of Using Laptop as a Monitor
One of the three ways include using built-in feature of windows 10 while other two methods make use of third party application. Here are the three ways:
- Make use of Miracast
- Use Space desk
- Use Steam In-house Streaming (for gaming)
Using Miracast on Windows
Miracast is the built-in feature of Windows that enables the screen of your laptop to be used as a monitor. To use Miracast there are some settings you need to apply on both of your devices.
Setting of the laptop (Device which is going to be used as a monitor)
- Open up your settings in windows 10
- First option you will see is the system. Click and open it
- In the bar at left side, you will see “Projecting to this PC”. Open that up
- In first drop down menu select “Available everywhere”
Setting of PC (Device whose display is going to be used as monitor)
- In the bottom right-hand side of the taskbar. Click on the notification center
- Click on expand if collapsed.
- Now select the project option and select extended display
- Select ‘Connect to a wireless display’
- Your PC will be looking for the devices to project onto the screen. You will find your laptop in that list. Select your PC.
- Now it will ask for your laptop permission, on your laptop you need to go back and accept the connection
That is all, you have successfully shared the PC screen to the laptop. You need to make sure that both of your devices are connected locally or globally.
Using Space Desk
There is absolutely no reason for you to use 3rd party application when you have windows 10 built-in feature for screen sharing but if due to any reason that method doesn’t work you can still manage to share your using Space desk. But like, Miracast you need to have proper settings and software on both your devices before sharing the screen.
Desktop PC software (whose screen is going to be extended)
- First of all you need to make sure that you have windows 8.1 or above installed on your PC
- Secondly, Nvidia, AMD or Intel adapter is also necessary
- Windows display driver model should be 1.0 +
- Last but not the least DirectX 10 is necessary
- Space desk
Laptop Software and Settings
- Laptop should also have windows 8.1 or above
- DirectX 10
- DirectX WARP
- Space Desk
Guide to use space desk
After you have installed all the necessary software on both your devices you need to follow the following steps:
- Install space desk on your both devices and restart your devices
- It is necessary that both devices should be connected to the same network
- Now you need to launch the space desk application on your laptop and PC
- If both of them are on the same network your laptop will detect your PC in the list of available computers
- Now select your computer and connect to it
- In case if you don’t find your PC in the list you can connect your laptop to your PC using the IP address of your PC. An IP address can be determined using “ipconfig” command on windows cmd.
- First of all download steam engine on both your devices
- Now login on both your devices using the same account
- From laptop select the game you want to play but don’t click play button rather click stream
Streaming using Steam’s In-house Streaming
Steam’s In-house is especially useful for people who want to stream the games within their personal environment. Everyone knows that the best performance for games can be achieved through a PC rather than a laptop. But if your want the portability of the laptop but the processing power and cooling system of PC you can use this In-house streaming to play games on your PC through your laptop in bed or any place where you feel comfortable. Here is the guide for how to use the In-house streaming of steam engines.
Now your laptop will stream the game from your PC but there will be latency depending upon the strength and quality of your connection.
There are three methods mentioned to use the screen of your laptop as a monitor out of which one is purely for gaming purposes. Miracast is the best way for using your laptop as a monitor as it is a built-in feature and you don’t need to worry about the privacy of your laptop or PC. However, you can also use a third-party app if Miracast doesn’t work for you. The third method is for gamers, almost every gamer knows about steam and has an account. You just need to use their In-house streaming feature.